lunes, 24 de septiembre de 2012

Growing in Testimony

When I was first investigating the Church and found myself in the position of having to decide whether I could believe everything the missionaries were teaching me or not, I started noticing the "I know...."s of a testimony. For someone attending an LDS church service for the first time, especially and Fast and Testimony Sundays, the boldness of a testimony in which someone states something such as, "I know this Church is true" is not something that usually goes unnoticed. I thought to myself, "How can they know? How can they be so sure?". It didn't make any sense to me. I could never see myself stating something so straightforwardly.

I expressed my feelings about this to the missionaries and though they didn't tell me, they probably looked at each other and silently nodded in agreement, because they knew what that meant. What I was feeling wasn't unique. It happens to everyone. That's where conversion starts. If we let it.

In The Book of Mormon (1 Nephi 2:16) Nephi says: 

             "I...having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord..."


So I had that desire. And "cry unto the Lord" is what I did. I did it every night. I didn't feel like I was getting any answers at first, I thought that maybe I was praying wrong or that the lack of an answer meant that none of it was true. I doubted that I was even being listened to. But slowly I began to understand what the fruits of the Holy Ghost are:


" 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)
I understood that though wasn't receiving the strong burning of the bosom that is often talked about, I was definitely feeling all the fruits of the Spirit, at their appropriate time. Once I understood this I was able to recognize the bucket-fulls of spiritual confirmation that I was receiving in my daily life, not only when I was kneeled down in prayer. My prayers were being answered all along and I hadn't even noticed.

In the scriptures we can find various witnesses that by the Holy Ghost we may know all things (Jacob 7:12, Moroni 10:5, Ether 4:11 among others), that He is the Comforter and Spirit of Truth (John 15:26), and that He bears record of the Father and the Son (3 Nephi 28:11, D&C 20:27).

Furthermore, even when we testify in truthfulness, we are testifying by that same power of the Holy Ghost: "Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost." (1 Corinthians 12:3) As I've learned with experience also, when we hear someone else's testimony, it is okay to ask for the higher witness or testimony of those things, such as Nephi did in 1 Nephi 10:17-19 after he had heard his own father testifying of things he saw in a vision. See also D&C 6:22-23.

A few of the key ways in which I was able to gain the testimony I have now (a testimony which is surely ever-growing) are the following, and I include scriptural references that explain their importance:

  1. The Scriptures (LDS standard works, which include the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon):
  2. Fasting and Prayer
  3. Testimonies of prophets
  4. Obedience, Faith, diligence  
And as my faith, love for my Savior, understanding of doctrine and scriptures, diligence, and obedience grow, so does my testimony. As my testimony grows, all those other things are fortified. So it goes, hand-in-hand, and now on any given first Sunday of the month, you may find me looking something like this as I stand up on the pulpit and bear my testimony with all that might hear it, that I Know these things are true.





------------Español-------------

Cuando estaba investigando la Iglesia y me encontré en la situación de tener que decidir si podía creer todo lo que los misioneros me enseñaban o no, y empecé a notar el "yo sé ...." de un testimonio. Para alguien que asiste a un servicio de domingo de la iglesia SUD por primera vez, y sobre todo en día de ayunos y testimonios, no pasa desapercibido cuando alguien da su testimonio con mucha audacia y dicen: "Sé que esta Iglesia es verdadera". Cuando yo escuchaba eso, me preguntaba a mi misma: "¿Cómo lo saben? ¿Cómo pueden estar tan seguros?". No lo entendía. No me podía imaginar a mi misma diciendo algo así con tanta firmeza.

Expresé mis sentimientos acerca de esto a los misioneros y aunque ellos no me lo dijeron, probablemente se miraron en silencio y asintieron con la cabeza, porque sabían lo que eso significaba. Lo que yo sentía no era único. Le pasa a todo el mundo. Ahí es donde comienza la conversión. Si es que se lo permitimos.
En el Libro de Mormón (1 Nephi 2:16) Nefi dice:
"Y sucedió que yo...teniendo grandes deseos de conocer los misterios de Dios, clamé por tanto al Señor"
Así que tuve eso mismo deseo. Y "clamé por tanto al Señor". Lo hacía cada noche. Al principio no sentía que recibía ninguna respuesta, pensé que tal vez estaba orando mal o que la falta de una respuesta significaba que nada de eso era verdadero. Yo dudaba que alguien siquiera me escuchaba. Pero poco a poco empecé a comprender cuales son los frutos del Espíritu Santo:


 "Pero el fruto del Espíritu es: amor, gozo, paz, longanimidad, benignidad, bondad, fe mansedumbre, templanza; contra tales cosas no hay ley." (Gálatas 5:22-23)
Entonces comprendí que aunque no recibía el fuerte ardor del pecho del cual se habla a menudo, definitivamente podía sentir todos los frutos del Espíritu, en su momento oportuno. Una vez que entendí esto fui capaz de reconocer la gran cantidad de confirmación espiritual de que estaba recibiendo en mi vida diaria y no sólo cuando estaba de rodillas en oración. Mis oraciones eran contestadas todo el tiempo y no me había dado cuenta.

En las escrituras podemos encontrar varios testigos de que por el poder de
Espíritu Santo podemos saber la verdad de todas las cosas (Jacob 7:12, Moroni 10:5, Éter 4:11 entre otros), que Él es el Consolador y Espíritu de la Verdad (Juan 15:26), y que Él da testimonio del Padre y del Hijo (3 Nefi 28:11, DyC 20:27).

Además, incluso cuando testificamos verdaderamente estamos dando testimonio por ese mismo poder del Espíritu Santo: "Por tanto, os hago saber, que nadie que hable por el Espíritu de Dios, llama anatema a Jesús; y nadie puede afirmar que Jesús es el Señor, sino por el Espíritu Santo." (1 Corintios 12:3) También he aprendido que cuando escuchamos el testimonio de otra persona, está bien pedir el testimonio más alto de esas cosas, tal como lo hizo Nefi en 1 Nefi 10:17-19 después de haber escuchado a su propio padre testificando de las cosas que vio en una visión. Véase también D&C 6:22-23.


Algunas de las formas en que yo pude obtener el testimonio que tengo ahora (un testimonio que sin duda es cada vez mayor) son los siguientes, e incluyo referencias de escrituras que explican su importancia:



  1. Las escrituras  (Libros canónicos SUD, incluyendo la Santa Biblia y el Libro de Mormón):
  2. Ayuno y Oración
  3. Testimonios de los profetas
  4. Obediencia, Fe, diligencia
 Y tal como mi fe, el amor a mi Salvador, la comprensión de la doctrina y las escrituras, mi diligencia y obediencia crecen, también lo hace mi testimonio. Tal como mi testimonio crece, todas esas cosas son fortificadas. Así son mano a mano, y ahora en cualquier primer domingo del mes, es posible que me encuentren en el púlpito dando mi testimonio a todos lo que puedan oírlo, que Yo Sé que estas cosas son verdaderas.

:) 
- Leilani

2 comentarios:

  1. QUE LINDA!!! Quiero que tenga un blogspot pero no lo usaré.
    Continua escribiendo @_@ me gussstttaaa

    ResponderEliminar